Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News - The biggest new Switch games in 2022 – twenty-twenty-too many games?

The biggest new Switch games in 2022 – twenty-twenty-too many games?

Look, facing another year on earth is a crushing proposition at the best of times, but at least we have videogames. Each calendar year has a brand new slate of sparkly treats, ready to fly out from the minds of developers and fling themselves straight into your flipping Switch. 2021 was a fairly good year for Nintendo Switch, but due to delays from – you know why – 2022 looks particularly packed as Nintendo plays catch up.

The biggest new Switch games in 2022 include quite a few sequels to titles from the Switch’s launch year in 2017, as well as a few sequels we’ve been waiting even longer for… No, not Pikmin 4 just yet. Maybe 2023. But if all goes well, then 2022 could finally be the year we get ‘The Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild’, though I’m not going to place any bets.

It’s not all blockbusters though, as Switch is the indie machine at the moment, and it’s only going to get better. While a few titles on the list are purely speculative, we’re sure an absolute truckload of cracking indies will be lighting up our faces on Nintendo Switch in 2022.

So, let’s tuck into our picks for the biggest upcoming Switch games in 2022.

The biggest new Switch games coming in 2022

A Pokemon trainer stands on a snowy cliff edge

Pokémon: Legends Arceus – January 28

In a series often maligned for taking too many baby steps (and too many baby Pokémon if we’re being honest) Pokémon: Legends Arceus seems to be the series taking a confident stride into new territory, and we’re very excited for it. Set in the region of Hisui, centuries before it became Sinnoh, Legends Arceus seems to be showing a side of the Pokémon world we’ve never seen before, and doing it all with a semi-open-world style that feels like the wild area has been smartly built upon and expanded.

We’ve already seen glimpses of some brand new Pokémon, and the new battle methods seem to be shaking up the well-worn formula for the first time in a while. Hopefully, there are even more secrets to discover and Pokémon to catch, and luckily we don’t have long to wait for either, as Pokémon: Legends Arceus is one of the big first-party releases early in the year, landing in our laps in January.

A young girl gives a scornful look

Life is Strange: Remastered collection – February 1

Without question, this is one of my most highly anticipated games for next year. The Life is Strange: Remastered Collection consists of the original Life is Strange, and its prequel, Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Both games promise to take you on an emotional journey through an incredible narrative, and to this day, I’d argue that no series has made the impact on me that Life is Strange has. Going back to Arcadia Bay, and revisiting Max Caulfield and Chloe Price is sure to be a 2022 highlight.

Humans run away from zombies in a snowy scene

Dying Light 2: Stay Human – February 4

I love the horror genre almost as much as I love RPGs, and I have a deep fondness for zombies. Then again, who doesn’t have a soft spot for the walking dead? Next year, the highly anticipated Dying Light 2 releases in February, and not only does it promise to capture what made the first one so great, but to build upon it too. The game is set long after the events of Dying Light, and features crafting, parkour, and, of course, more zombies than you can count. It promises to be an action-fuelled fight for survival, and I can’t wait to get stuck in.

If you want to stay up to date with this title, you should bookmark our Dying Light 2 release date guide.

A character drawn in a cartoon style is shown holding a wrench, while a battlefield is visible in the background

Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp – Spring 2022

There was a while there where Fire Emblem got so popular fans might have thought Advance Wars was gone for good. Well, luckily the talented team at WayForward are behind this gorgeous remaster of the two GameBoy Advance entries, bringing the series up to date with some modern conveniences and an adorable tabletop art style. Anyone who hasn’t already played these has two fantastic games to enjoy.

Kirby runs through a large, vivid, grassy area

Kirby and the Forgotten Land – Spring 2022

The adorable pink blob is back in an adventure through a post-apocalyptic world. The game is a 3D platformer that has you exploring abandoned buildings and copying enemy abilities to perform attacks and explore hard to reach areas.

If you’re after some lighthearted fun with adorable bad guys and vibrant landscapes, we think you’ll love Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

An Inkling fires a weapon onto an arena

Splatoon 3 – TBc

The never-ending question, are you a kid? Or a squid? Are you some sort of hybrid kid/squid monstrosity? Well, hopefully, we finally get answers when Splatoon 3 releases next year. At the very least, we expect a brand new splattering of 4v4 multiplayer action. There will be ink. From a niche series to a flagship franchise in two entires, Splatoon fever has taken over with the second entry amassing over ten million sales. And it’s all for good reason. While it looks colourful and simple, Splatoon is a deviously difficult game to master, but one that rewards players of all abilities, and goes to great lengths to ensure every player has fun.

The first trailer for Splatoon 3 gives us a glimpse at a desert-themed post-apocalypse, probably informed by the chaos players voted for from the prequels final Splatfest. We also see an Inkling team up with a Salmonid as they explore the wasteland, so hopefully Salmon Run returns with some new tricks up its sleeve. Please just let us play whenever we want! We’re still light on information, but keep your eyes peeled on our Splatoon 3 release date guide to make sure you don’t miss a thing.

A cute hand-drawn scene shows a lovely small house and several cats

Mineko’s Night Market – TBC

Detailed story? Check. Celebration of Japanese culture? Check. Beautiful, illustrative art style? Check. Heaps of adorable cats? Check! Mineko’s Night Market is an upcoming, narrative-driven, social simulation adventure following Mineko, a curious girl who has just arrived at her new home on a struggling Japanese-inspired island.

Uncover the secrets of Mount Fugu, as you help to rebuild the town to its former glory. Of course, there’s also the Night Market, a bunch of fun mini-games (excuse me, cat racing? Yes please), puzzles, crafting, and heaps more. It honestly looks so adorable, I can’t wait to sink my claws in.

A pixelated scene shows a bear in the woods

Bear and Breakfast – TBC

With a name like Bear and Breakfast, do we really need to say any more? It’s slated to be a laid-back, management adventure game where you step into the big, fuzzy paws of a well-meaning (though somewhat hapless) bear called Hank, as you and your friends attempt to convert an abandoned shack in the woods into a fancy B&B. With heaps of customisation, an enchantingly rich world, adorable characters, and visuals straight out of a storybook, I can bear-ly contain my excitement.

Bayonetta appears in the middle of Shibuya's Scramble Crossing, arms holding guns in the air, ready to fire

Bayonetta 3 – TBC

2021 was the first time we actually got a glimpse at Bayonetta 3, and thankfully the first trailer showed that we had nothing to worry about. The Umbra Witch seems to be back in all her glory, and the action looks as slick as ever. Considering it’s a Bayonetta game, I’m not expecting the story to make a heap of sense, but it’s interesting to note Bayonetta sports a hairstyle reminiscent of her younger years, and it looks like some gameplay takes place in a version of Tokyo.

It’s been officially confirmed for a 2022 release, so now we actually know when the witch is back. And if Astral Chain is anything to go by, Bayonetta 3 could end up being a graphical showcase for the Nintendo Switch system, and one of the best action games money can buy.

Link from Breath of the Wild runs through a large open area, atop a floating island, while golden light shines through the clouds

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 – TBC

Well, fingers crossed. If we do get The Sequel to The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild in 2022 I’ll be pleasantly surprised, but I’m getting ready for either possibility. How do you improve on a game like Breath of the Wild though? From the brief glimpses we have, it seems like Nintendo are throwing every idea and the kitchen sink at this open-world adventure, giving players even more tools to explore – and probably break – this interactive toolbox.

It’s also rare that the Zelda series does direct sequels, so it’ll be fascinating to see how those iterations of Zelda and Link develop, and how they tackle the new challenges coming their way. Either way, Hyrule itself seems to be getting a drastic makeover thanks to some floating islands, and Link has some brand new tools to explore, so even just existing in this playground will be a blast. Hopefully, we see it in 2022. If you’re diving back into BotW over the holidays to tide you over, be sure to check out our Breath Of The Wild amiibo guide to make the most out of your adventure.

A battle in Digimon Survive

Digimon Survive – TBC

Bandai Namco initially teased Digimon Survive back in 2018, and since then, fans have been patiently waiting for the survival strategy RPG to release. Well, 2022 is finally the year. Digimon Survive sees a fresh set of characters being transported to a dark, strange new world, where they must fight their way home in some classic strategy RPG battles.

Survive is very different to most Digimon titles, offering a much darker storyline. Your choices made throughout the game will impact how your partner Digimon digivolves, how the story progresses, and also lead to multiple endings, some of which will result in surprising deaths. Survive is a must-have title for fans who grew up with Digimon and are looking for a more mature experience.

Genshin Impact characters being attacked in the snow

Genshin Impact – TBC

Genshin Impact was released to mobile, PC, and PS4 in 2020 and quickly become one of our games of the year. This free-to-play, open-world RPG has some gorgeous graphics, intense combat, and unintrusive gacha elements making it appeal to a huge audience.

Developer Mihoyo revealed Genshin Impact will make its way to Switch sometime in 2022, but it’s still unclear exactly when it will drop.

There you have it, our list of the biggest new games Switch games in 2022. We know there are many, many, more great titles on the way as well as a few surprises, but that’s our picks for the biggest and best. If you’ve picked up a Switch over the holidays and are looking for even more amazing games to play, be sure to check out our guide to the best Switch games to make the most out of your handy hybrid device.

https://www.sickgaming.net/blog/2021/12/...any-games/